How to Call a Servlet in GWT

Sometimes you may need a HttpServlet other than GWT Rpc Service in a real life application. If needed then how to call the Servlet from your GWT client? Here you will find the answer.

Here is a simple HelloServlet

public class HelloServlet extends HttpServlet {
@Override
public void doGet(HttpServletRequest request, HttpServletResponse response)
throws ServletException, IOException
{ 
String name = request.getParameter("name");
response.getWriter().write("Hello "+name+", Welcome in My Servlet");
}
}
The Servlet uses a request a parameter 'name' and writes it in the response writer.

To call the Servlet from the client first configure the web.xml (war/WEB-INF/web.xml) file to let your GWT client know about the HelloServlet.

 HelloServlet
 org.ratul.servlettest.server.HelloServlet


 HelloServlet
 /hello

Value of the url-pattern node will be used later to call the Servlet.

Now make a simple UI with a TextBox and a Button.
final Button sendButton = new Button("Send");
final TextBox nameField = new TextBox();
RootPanel.get().add(nameField);
RootPanel.get().add(sendButton);

In the Click Handler of the sendButton call the Servlet with the 'name' parameter in the following way
sendButton.addClickHandler(new ClickHandler() {
  public void onClick(ClickEvent event) {
    Window.Location.replace("/hello?name="+nameField.getText());
    //the url-pattern value is used here
  }
});

Thats' all for today. Happy coding with GWT :-)

12 comments:

Mark October 10, 2010 at 11:55 PM  

Good one. This helps.

Bastien August 10, 2011 at 3:37 AM  

Hi. Thanks for the Help !

Do you know a way to open the link in a new tab ?

Unknown August 10, 2011 at 8:00 AM  

@Bastien: use target property of the a tag.
<a href="http://zawoad.blogspot.com" target = "_blank">Link</a>

Radu August 13, 2011 at 1:18 PM  

Hi. I gave it a try but I keep getting this error and I checked it over and over didn't find where the problem might be.

link: http://localhost:8084/hello?name=John

HTTP Status 404 -
Type: Status Report
Message:
Description: The requested resource () is not available.


Many thanks and best regards

Unknown August 13, 2011 at 7:12 PM  

@radu: I think the problem lies in the url. Before /hello there should be the project name.

Radu August 15, 2011 at 12:42 PM  

Many thanks it worked! Although I did try that before but maybe it didn't work because I didn't restart browser before retries.

MJ August 28, 2011 at 2:26 AM  

This is good, but I have a problem. Above mentioned callign works flawlessly in all browsers BUT IE. In IE, I get exception. The servlet request string is messed up. If I put a "/hello", the message is: unknown url: http://localhost:8080/hello?..

But if I call it with "hello" ony, the IE changes that to:
http://localhost:8080/Application/si.myPackage.servlets.HelloServlet/hello?...

I just can't figure out why IE is doing this. Like mentioned, in other browsers it is fine.

Bah :)

L.F. November 28, 2012 at 6:06 PM  

Thanks!
This was very helpful in adding DataSourceServlet to a gwt project.
Larisa

Sascha December 18, 2012 at 9:06 AM  

Hey, thank you so much, this one made it quite easy :)

Glyndwr Bartlett January 14, 2013 at 6:35 PM  

This is very helpful. I am getting the following error:
HTTP ERROR: 503
SERVICE_UNAVAILABLE
RequestURI=/AwardTracker.html

I am very new to Java and GWT.

Thanks,

Glyn

Unknown March 17, 2013 at 2:58 PM  

Hmm... I've got several years experience with GWT and Java, thaought this would be easy - but I can't get this work. I've tried every variant I can think of in the url-pattern: with and without project name, etc -- but still I get a 404 no matter what I do. Working under tomcat 7. Any hints?

Unknown March 17, 2013 at 3:02 PM  
This comment has been removed by the author.

Total Pageviews

Tags

Twitter Updates
    follow me on Twitter

    Followers